It is part of our commitment to provide all children at Saint Mary’s Catholic Voluntary Primary Academy with a rich and varied learning curriculum, to ensure that every child has the opportunity to experience a wide range of PE opportunities. At our school, PE plays a vital role in developing the whole child.
Within PE, we aim to:
- Ensure that every child has the same opportunity to take part in a wide, varied and rich PE Curriculum. This is provided through the scheme of work ‘Primary Steps in PE’.
- Provide every child with the opportunity to take part in PE opportunities to ensure that they are physically active.
- Ensure that all children develop their skills in all areas of the PE curriculum.
- Ensure that all children play competitive sport in a fair and positive way, understanding the importance of winning, and losing, well.
- Encourage all children to take part in extra-curricular clubs and the many opportunities that they are provided with to take part in competitive sport.
P.E. at Saint Mary's
Within Physical Education Saint Mary’s strives to give our children a rich and varied curriculum in order for all areas of PE to be covered. Here is a curriculum map of what will be covered throughout all of the year groups through the ‘Primary Steps in PE’ initiative. All children have the opportunity to take part in 2 one hour PE lessons a week. One PE lesson is covered by Mr Osborne, a trained and highly skilled coach from Gravity Red and one lesson taught by their class teacher.
Please click on the link for the P.E. curriculum overview for 2016-2017
Silver Schools Games Mark
Today, 21st June 2017, we are very proud to announce that we have achieved the SILVER award of the School Games Mark criteria in PE. This year we have worked tirelessly to encourage our children to take part in as many competitions as possible, attend as many lunch time and after school clubs as they can, listened to their views and opinions about what provision we can provide for them in regards to sports and PE and try to encourage our least active or unconfident children in joining in more clubs. From this we have achieved the award and couldn't be prouder! Next year, we will aim to maintain the current sporting provision we provide and give even more opportunities for children to participate in sporting events, clubs and initiatives. Thank you to all of the staff, children and parents of chidlren who have supported us in this journey to reaching our goal. Watch this space, next year we will be aiming for GOLD!